In 1860, the number of houses had fallen to 22 and there were still 93 inhabitants, however, just three of them were seafarers. For centuries, until around 1900, Kampen was a rural village shaped by agriculture.
In 1803, Kampen consisted of 23 houses and 93 inhabitants (40 men and 53 women, of which 23 were seafarers).
In 1853, King Frederick VII of Denmark ordered the construction of the Kampen lighthouse.
Also many celebrities of cinema and television thought Kampen to be fashionable.
Gunter Sachs was one of those the public associated with the village.
A major camp was located near today's public camping site in the southwestern part of the village.