In 1388 the commune placed itself under the protection of the Counts of Savoy.
Nice participated – directly or indirectly – in the history of Savoy until 1860.
Nice is about 13 kilometres (8 miles) from the principality of Monaco, and its airport is a gateway to the principality as well.
The city is nicknamed Nice la Belle (Nissa La Bella in Niçard), which means Nice the Beautiful, which is also the title of the unofficial anthem of Nice, written by Menica Rondelly in 1912.
The area of today's Nice contains Terra Amata, an archaeological site which displays evidence of a very early use of fire.
Around 350 BC, Greeks of Marseille founded a permanent settlement and called it Nikaia, after Nike, the goddess of victory.
The city's main seaside promenade, the Promenade des Anglais ("Walkway of the English') owes its name to visitors to the resort.